TAKEheart is a multifaceted initiative designed to:
- Broaden awareness of the benefits of CR and the danger of CR underuse
- Share evidence-based approaches for increasing CR referral and enrollment
- Offer training and support to help hospitals implement these approaches
- Provide opportunities for peer-to-peer learning
TAKEheart applies strategies from the Million Hearts®/AACVPR Cardiac Rehabilitation Change Package, a quality improvement action guide developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR).
The TAKEheart initiative provides training and technical assistance to up to 100 Partner Hospitals in support of their efforts to implement two proven strategies identified in the CR change package:
- Automatic referral of eligible patients
- Use of care coordinators or “liaisons” to educate patients about the benefits of CR and facilitate a meaningful referral process
Additionally, TAKEheart will support a broader Learning Community of up to 200 hospitals to explore additional strategies for increasing rates of CR referral, enrollment, and retention.
How TAKEheart Works
TAKEheart will help hospitals and health systems get more of their patients into CR in several ways:
Training TAKEheart offers hospitals free web-based training on how to increase CR.
Awareness The program educates participants about the benefits of CR, the challenges limiting patient participation, and the opportunity for improvement.
Knowledge TAKEheart gives hospitals access to a comprehensive resource center, updates from the field, and peer-to-peer learning.
Engagement TAKEheart offers different ways for hospitals to participate in this initiative, as a Partner Hospital or a member of the Learning Community.
TAKEheart supports AHRQ’s goal of facilitating dissemination and implementation of patient-centered outcomes research among providers. The initiative, funded by the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Trust Fund, advances AHRQ’s efforts to enhance heart health.