Welcome to the TAKEheart Initiative and the Benefits of Improving Cardiac Rehabilitation
This module introduces AHRQ’s TAKEheart initiative, whose goal is to help hospitals and health systems implement evidence-based strategies to increase cardiac rehabilitation (CR) participation among eligible patients by implementing automatic referral with care coordination (liaison). These two strategies that have been proven to increase CR participation by eligible patients. The module reviews the strong evidence base for the benefits of this approach to increasing CR; the reasons for current low CR participation and associated low referral rates; and highlights the opportunity and benefits to hospitals/health systems, patients and payers to closing the gap between evidence and practice in CR. This module’s purpose is to enable hospitals and health systems to make the case to their teams and leadership that implementing CR is worthwhile from patient, provider, and hospital perspectives.
The target audience for this session includes:
- The CR team and cardiologists
- Cardiovascular surgeons and nurses
- Care coordinators
- Discharge planners outside of the team
- Hospital administrators and officials
It is important to note that the audiences listed above are a suggestion rather than a limitation. All are welcome to watch and review the module.
Upon completion of this module, attendees should be able to:
- Understand the evidence base for the benefits of CR and the gaps in access and uptake, especially among underserved populations
- Make the case to leadership for taking active steps to increase CR participation by implementing automatic referral and care coordination support and begin to build buy-in among other members of the implementation team
- Feel confident that the TAKEheart curriculum will provide practical tips and tools to implement an automatic referral and care coordination plan for CR patients and their families
Director, Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
Division of Preventive Cardiology, Mayo Clinic
Legislative Analyst for AACVPR
Founder, Patient is Partner
*This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education through the joint providership of the American Board of Quality Assurance and Utilization Review Physicians, Inc. (ABQAURP) and the American Hospital Association (AHA). ABQAURP is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Board of Quality Assurance and Utilization Review Physicians, Inc. designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
ABQAURP is an approved provider of continuing education for nurses. This activity is designated for 1.0 contact hours through the Florida Board of Nursing, Provider # 50-94.